Saturday, February 9, 2008

Thing Three: Learn About RSS

I used Google Reader to subscribe to the RSS feeds of some of my favorite websites. I think it is a great information tool, and is more useful than putting a website under "Favorites." I watched the Common Craft video, and was intrigued by the comparison between the "old slow way" of going out and finding information, and the "new fast way" of having the information come to you. I was disappointed in how the "old slow way" was given a thumbs down in the video, and dismissed as "wasting time." With millions of people blogging today, it often happens that people write opinions about things of which they have little background knowledge, and it seems that they simply write things off the top of their head without putting much thought into it. These people don't spend enough time "the old slow way" researching an issue and building a knowledge base before developing an informed opinion. That said, I look forward to going online and finding new online information sources the old slow way, and linking to their RSS feeds.

No comments: