Sunday, February 10, 2008

Thing 4A: Explore Flickr



The photograph that I copied from Flickr was taken by gandy1941.

The image can be found at http://flickr.com/photos/gandydancer/2080710416/sizes/o/

The photograph is of my grandfather's sister and her daughter. When I searched Flickr, I was pleasantly surprised to find a collection of photographs tagged with my family name. I would have never seen this photograph of my great aunt and her daughter were it not for Flickr. Online photo-sharing websites provide a great opportunity for librarians to help preserve history through photographs. I think librarians should work with local historical societies to help catalog (tag) old photographs into an online photo-sharing website. What a great tool for researching the history of a community and its people. Librarians should reach out to the community to bring in their old family photographs in order to digitize them and tag them with family names and places. Online photo-sharing is a great tool for genealogy. Work must be done soon, because many of the names and places of the photographs only remain in the minds of elderly people.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Hey "A"...good to see you here. Sandy has one, too. We should have a23 Things meeting to see if we can get some float credits, or something...

ck