Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Thing Ten: Wikis

Many of the wiki pages seemed convoluted and confusing to navigate. I was overwhelmed by all the links. Some of the wikis provided little information other than the names of links.

On the 23 things on a stick wiki, I added "Welcome to the" on the front page, and changed the font type and color. I had to play around with spacing because the words kept overlapping each other when I saved.

With wikis, as with blogs, anyone has the ability to publish anything they want, and it will be accessible to anyone in the world with Internet access. With so many wikis, and so many authors, I am reminded of what a univiersity professor remarked when asked if he was going to write anymore about reference. He said, "No, definitely not. A lot of what gets published these days is just dropped into the ocean and doesn't even make a ripple."

No comments: